01.19.20- Pastor Jason Sermon Notes: Heart for the House, 2020
What is the Holy Spirit saying to you thru this message?
Do you see those coming in our building that need transformation? Whose hearts are longing for the hope you have?
Have your convictions ever gotten in the way of your love for someone?
Are you serving? Do you need to fill out a card?
Today’s message is more heart than content. I want our people to have a heart for the house.
I need all of you to give your life away.
We can’t let just exist, and just go through the motions. God wants to use this church for transformation, because we all have a role and responsibility. We need 295 people to serve for this house to run well.
- Transformation means: lives changed
- Lives saved, people healed, families restored, addictions broken, people made whole, relationships created, bonds established and family found.
- Gifting and callings discovered. People trained and developed to use what God has given them for Him, inside and outside the church.
This is the call and the mandate of this church
How do we know this? Whose responsibility is it?
You are a change agent, why? Christ lives in you, and his life flows through you. His perfect life in imperfect vessels, which are being perfected.
You are not always going to be able to see what God is doing from one moment to another. Transformation takes time, because it is a process.
John 2:14-17 NIV
Matthew 21:12-14 NIV
1. Fierce conviction (zeal) for the house- Joshua 3
- Zeal means extraordinary concern for.
- Jesus had zeal for three things:
- 1. Clear vision of the Father.
- 2. Teaching and reaching People.
- 3. Zeal to Die
- Good News is not an organization as much as an organism.
- In order for us to function on Sundays, we need hundreds of volunteers.
- Your life is needed, and your life transforms lives.
- I want you to have zeal for the church, and for the people who show up here.
- I want everyone here on mission to help people encounter God.
- Pastor Jason’s story at the altar: “Do not gauge success one person’s response but rather if you obeyed what I asked you to do”.
- Jesus is turning over tables: where they set up the tables was the area set apart for Gentiles and the poor to worship.
- We have to be at war with indifference, apathy, busyness, and be honest about where you are at!
- We have a faithful church!
- I want our church to have convictions, to strongly believe in what we are doing.
How many have strong convictions in life? As a Christian?
Convictions can be both spiritual and practical.
- We need to find our place in bringing transformation through Jesus to others.
- We need to be on a mission, and to have a vested interest.
- Church may not be according to your preference.
- Jesus tells me “this” is what I need, and it is not always according to my preference.
- People are becoming nomadic, and they are leaving as soon as they don’t like something.
- Or, people are nomadic in their lives and are getting info (online sermons, podcasts, etc), but they not digging roots anywhere.
- We need to grow our roots deep and give our lives away
Our convictions are important, but they aren’t the only thing that is important.
If I asked you “what is the most important thing in church”? How many different answers do you think I would get?
- Top Golf: multi-level golf complex where you can hit gold balls.
- Notice the pillars, because the only way Top Golf works is if they all work together.
- No one thing is more important than the others.
My conviction can’t blind me to the need or direction of the church
This is a good way to miss what Jesus is doing now
1 Cor. 12:17-20 NIV 17 -“If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body. “
- I want this church to be a team.
- If your gift can’t be utilized do you leave or do you meet the need?
- Sometimes the practical is needed over preference.
- Smile, handshake, welcome, pray, be someone saying “I will show you”, and kid’s workers.
- If you are going to be here, get engaged here.
- Stop being nomadic Christians, and get rooted somewhere and produce fruit.
This is why you have to have a heart for the house and not just your gift
We need to value: Be about it
Part of the DNA and values we want to have in our church is “Be About It”.
Is there a need? We need to answer, and we need to solve it!
Mark 2:1-4 NIV: “A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home. 2 They gathered in such large numbers that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. 4 Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on. “
- From the moment people step into the parking lot transformation begins.
- There are some seasons and times where serving is not right, and that is okay. However, you can serve later when the time right.
- Sometimes, serving expedites healing or breakthrough
What season are you in?
Psalm 10:17-18 NKJV: “Lord, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, 18 To [a]do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may [b]oppress no more.”
- Video: a family chipped in to purchase glasses that would allow this man to see color. He had been color blind.
- People are here who have never seen what you have seen, or known what you have known. They deserve to.
- When we have a heart for the house we realize this, and it motivates us to give our lives away.
What color can we bring to dark lives? What new life can we bring to those around us?
- We get this incredible privilege to partner with God to bring transformation to lives.
- It may be more work initially…
- We need 295 people to serve
- More than that, we need to have a heart for this house.
- Card: Fill it out to serve in an area, or if you have an interest in an area. Then, turn it into the office, or put in the GIVE box in the lobby.
- Text: TEAMS to 402-207-8640
- Scriptures listed below:
14 In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15 So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” 17 His disciples remembered that it is written: “Zeal for your house will consume me.”[c]
Matthew 21:12-14 NIV
12 Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’[a] but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’[b]”
14 The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them.
1 Cor. 12:17-20 NIV 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
Mark 2:1-4 NIV A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home. 2 They gathered in such large numbers that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. 4 Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on.
Psalm 10:17-18 NKJV Lord, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, 18 To [a]do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may [b]oppress no more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSD7-TgUmUY 27 seconds to 1:27 seconds